Actually I just had some major revamping going on in my business. That is partly the reason why I haven’t posted for a little while. I’ve been lucky enough to buy myself a new laptop. The old one was 3 years old and started to annoy me in recent months because it inhibited my productivity.
The browser kept crashing and it was far to slow for my level of patience. So I spent the last week revamping my business and am still tying up loose ends here and there. Here is what I did that will help me start the new year with a clean slate:
- transferring all the information from one computer to the next is a nightmare. Even though I was able to transfer files and folders through an external back up drive, I had to re-download all the software I’m using again since it isn’t possible to transfer those. (At least to my knowledge)
- cleaned up my feed reader since a lot of junk has been accumulated since I started using one. I also noticed that my time reading other blogs was mostly spent on maybe 15-20 blogs I kept visiting in general and these help me to stay in touch with the blogosphere too. So out goes the rest!
- I’ve also revamped my desk, clearing out old and unneeded files. I use a combination of filing systems such as manila folders and drawers and this seems to work well to keep my desk looking neat. I’ve also decided to clean up my desk at the end of each work day and not finish the day, unless I had the next day planned.
- I bought an 2008 diary which opens 1 week to a double page and allows me to keep track of deadlines. As much as I like my computer and the net, certain things are best kept offline.
- to keep track of all my online work and events, I will create some sort of Excel spreadsheet. (Thanks to Grizzly) So far I do have an offline notebook that contains the same info, but I find sometimes it would be quicker if I could just open a document and copy and paste instead.
- arranged all my “lost” files into folders. It is amazing what a little time spent on cleaning up can do for work effects.
- since I tracked my online time over the last 2 month, I know how much time I spend on blogging on this blog which doesn’t make me any money. This makes me a little sad since I know now there is no money in the blogging niche. My focus next year will be to build a niche website and then continue onwards for long term income. Naturally my writing and pro-blogging income is still going strong and I intend to grow this too. Therefore I have already roughly created a plan on what I will focus on in 2008.
- All this organizing has left me exhausted and renewed at the same time. I tend to go a little overboard sometimes when I decide on cleaning up and before I know it, a day has gone by.
- But I’m glad I got it all done since I can start out with a clean slate for 2008.