I gotta tell ya, sometimes freelance writing is a drag. Facing the prospect of a dozen articles you don’t give a rip about will sour up anyone’s bowl of Cheerios. String a bunch of assignments together like this and you could find yourself on the edge and not having much fun. So, here are some ways to stop the madness.
- Write a letter firing your biggest pain in the butt client. Of course you’re not going to send it so feel free to let the words fly. Say everything you’ve been dying to say. Use curse words. Call into play their mother’s veracity. And while you’re at it, put an invoice together that is more than double what you think the pain in the butt factor has been.
- Write up a completely bogus, full of lies and falsehoods over the top ad copy for your freelance writing business. No limits! Write something that would make RonCo proud! The good news about this fun little assignment is that you could very well end up with some ideas for your next marketing newsletter.
- Write a fictitious post about just coming back from the most awesome vacation you’ve ever had. Describe all the details including an accounting of how you almost ended up in a Mexican jail, on-your-lips drunk.
- Be a “cool” freelancer for an afternoon. Pack up your laptop and head to the nearest watering hole or café. Look all important as you type like a fiend. Make loud (fake)client calls on your iphone, mention the screenplay and not caring what the director thinks. Revel in the envious looks from the other patrons in the café. Goof it! Ham it up! They don’t have to know that you’re really just listening to old voicemail messages and surfing E-bay.
- Pick the kookiest keyword combination you can think of – something fun and interesting to you. Check Google Adwords to see how it ranks then write a post using the keyword in appropriate places. Make it as funny as you can.
- Write a fake article as if English were your second language and you were working for an Indian writing sweat-shop. Fit as many grammar guffaws as you possibly can into this post that will never see the internets!
Anyway, I hope you can see this post for what it is. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. Take some time out of your day to have a little fun.